Monday, May 16, 2016

Mix It Up

To say I've been slacking with writing posts recently is a bit of an understatement. However, being the busy student I am I've had a few deadlines this week! But, I'm back & one thing I've been focusing my workouts & eating on this week is mixing it up & changing things around. 

When I first began training more intensely, than I had done before, I began with three workout plans. I learnt that this was an important thing to swap between when training and wanting to see results. 

Obviously, working out - whatever you do - is going to be beneficial, but from my own experience I've learnt that sticking to the same thing isn't going to achieve your goals long term & you need to mix it up from time to time. Whether that be your workout plan, your target areas or even sessions throughout the week, it's important to surprise your body then it will react in a more positive way!

This week my gym was shut for a couple of days, so factors like that forced me to change my workout plan a little this week as I had to do some stuff at home & with no equipment like I have at the gym, looking for new ways to workout is always fun (sad, I know, but I enjoy looking and learning new things!). 

I find a lot of new methods of training on social media, for example Instagram. There are enough fitness accounts and online things that you can find to enhance your training & expand your knowledge. 

One of the things I have changed in my home workouts is utilising what you've got. So yeah, you may not have a bench to do any tricep dips on but my bed certainly worked out just as well in my uni room! Always utilise your floor & your body itself because there's so much you can do without equipment, from leg raises, to squat jumps - add a few simple exercises together, set your correct reps and sets and you're off! 

When I got back into the gym however, I decided to change up my routine from my usual HIIT treadmill session & ab workout. 

This week I've been focusing on strengthening myself. I've gone back to how I started on the rower - this is the perfect way to warm up (in my opinion) as it's a whole body warm up, targeting each part and muscle that you're probably going to be using through your training session & it's also a good way of getting some HIIT in as well. 

Beginning with a minute at a steady pace then 30 seconds sprints, over three days I've been beating my personal bests which is always a good feeling! 

Another way I've changed things around this week, is my weights. By increasing the weight you're lifting (or whatever exercise you're doing) it will enhance your muscle growth & also the amount of calories you burn - so up the weight & feel the burn! 

My friend told me this weekend that it's not always about having fancy equipment to achieve your goals - you've got to find new ways to use simple equipment in the gym to target the areas you want. 

I've never really been one to venture to the heavy weights section in the gym (it's always full of muscly men & for a small person, I do find this quite intimidating!!!) but my gym's been pretty dead each time I've been so I've had the area to myself, yay! 

Using the benches and weights I've found a new favourite - bent over row. Without realising it you're targeting more than just your arms, but by being in the bent over position it targets your abs as well (definitely felt that one the next day!)

Recently, I've been targeting singular areas when I've been training but this week I've focused on more whole body workouts, such as squat and press - bum, abs and arms - and another one I've enjoyed is single leg deadlifts with a kettle bell. 

Mixing up and utilising your equipment is always a good way to develop your routines. This week I've been using kettle bells in my workouts because they're one of the most diverse things you can use in the gym! 

Try doing some single leg deadlifts (I use an 8kg kettle bell, doing 12 reps for 3 sets) kettle bell swings are always a good overall workout (8kg kettle bell, soft knees, swing the bell to shoulder height then back through your legs, 12 reps, 3 sets.) goblet squats are always a favourite of mine! (booty burners, I use a 12kg kettle bell for these, holding the kettle bell tight in your chest, take a deep squat and back up, 12 reps, sets of 3) another overall one is kettle bell crunches (lying on your back, legs straight reach up to your toes with the kettle bell for 20 reps, for 3 sets).

Another newbie I've tried is 15kg barbell dead-lifts. Bending at your hips and knees, overhead grip on the barbell, slowly drop the bar towards the floor then stand up and push your hips forward, squeezing your gluten & not allowing you back to round. (very bad explanation - you might be best watching this video.) 

These are just a few of the things I've done exercise wise to mix up my routines this week! But next time you're in the gym, have a look at the different equipment that's on offer & try some new things! Don't forget, mixing up your routines will shock your system & that's what will benefit your progress - but changing your routine could even just mean changing your weights, amount of sets/reps or intervals. Each change will benefit your progress!

Remember, exercising is only part of the transformation. Your food consumption holds more succession to your goals. 

Change what you're eating as well as your exercises. Incorporate lots of good fats, protein & leafy greens in all your meals but keep things interesting! Change your breakie from your oats, to some eggs. Add new things to your meals such as avocado or other veggies in your breakfast. Don't be a basic bitch, mix it up & make it interesting! 

It's so easy, so there's no excuse! How long does it take to scramble some eggs, pop them in a pan & add some tomatoes & asparagus on your plate?! 5 minutes! 

Introduce new foods, such as turkey instead of chicken, or some mackerel instead of salmon. Surprise your body & it will begin to react. I've been trying some new things in the kitchen this week as well, but simple changes..instead of my daily boiled eggs & asparagus, I went for an omelette with tomato, ham & feta this morning which was deeeeelish! 

Sourdough with smashed avocado & prawns for lunch today is definitely now a favourite of mine & full of goodness! Don't forget to keep your carbs in there because they're just as important to refuelling your body as protein & greens. Sweet potato goes with pretty much everything & it's so good for you, make sure you eat the skin because that's the best part! 

Another thing I've tried out this week (not something I've always believed in) is protein powder. I've tried a few different brands, but instead of using it in a shake I've made some chocolate 'proats' topped with raspberries and I'm quite surprised how nice they actually were!

Social media hypes at the start of the week are 'Motivation Monday' - so I hope I may have motivated you to try something different this week, swap your run for a row, oats for eggs & serve up some sweet potatoes in your dinners this week! 

Don't forget - it won't happen overnight, persistence is key & motivation is what keeps you going. Set your goals for the week & have a good one! 

Thanks for reading! X

Follow me on instagram - @aprilalexandrax & Twitter - @aprilalexandra1

No comments:

Post a Comment